Projects - Adoption of the Adelaide Tambo School for the Physically Challenged
After a successful two-year relationship, this year, Gift of the Givers has officially adopted the Adelaide Tambo School for the Physically Challenged, in Soweto, Johannesburg.
Adelaide Tambo School provides education to 380 physically challenged learners from Grade R to Grade 12 and caters for day scholars and 150 boarders. It also offers pre-vocational skills to learners who are unable to learn beyond primary school education. The school is divided into two streams, namely academic and skills-based. Learners are offered the following skills:
- Domestic Science
- Cooking and Baking
- Flower Arrangement
- Sewing and Fabric painting
- Leather Works
- Hairdressing and Cosmetology
We supply their hostel with vegetablesonce a month, we repair their wheelchairs, we provide equipment for their skills-based classes and wesupply their dispensary with medicines.
We also installedeasily-accessible taps at the school and playground equipment.
Going forward, we plan to provide the following:
- Build two classrooms, a library and a staff room (Plans available, as at June 24, 2009)
- Upgrade the clinic
- Make a new signboard
- Install a remote gate
- Assist in developing the sports field
- Assist with the kitchen at the hostel
- Occasionally assist in providing stationery
- Assist with material for stationery and carpentry classes.