Handover of 23 Boreholes in Balaka District
Gift of the Givers, in partnership with the Government of Japan through its Embassy in Lilongwe, sunk 23 boreholes in 18 villages in Balaka District. The programme has benefitted over 13,000 households.
The State President of the Republic of Malawi, Dr. Joyce Banda officially handed over the boreholes to the people of Balaka District on behalf of the two organizations.
The event took place at Balaka LEA Primary School Ground from on 14 October 2013 and commenced with speeches followed by the handover ceremony as well as with a symbolic ribbon cutting at Chikombola borehole.
Since its inception, Gift of the Givers Foundation using its own funds has sunk over 50 boreholes targeting areas where people had problems in accessing clean and potable water in Malawi.
- The event was graced by many government officials such as:
- Her Excellency, Dr. Joyce Banda, President of the Republic of Malawi
- His Excellency Kobayashi, Deputy Ambassador, Embassy of Japan
- Mr. Sam Maweru, Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Irrigation & Water Development
- Mr. Mhone, District Commissioner, Balaka District